Reflections of A Princess

Monday, October 10, 2005

Two Degrees Separation

The following was inspired by Flamingoliya..(this one's for you gal!)

As I watched another episode of Nizzar Qabbani, I couldn't help but drift away into my own thoughts. My parents who are lovers of poetry always spoke about him and in particular my Mother. It was always the case with such icons like Abdulhaleem Hafeth, Arabian women always admired them as though they knew them personally. I found it quite entertaining.

My personal encounter with Nizzar Qabbani was in the two degrees separation kind or is it three degrees. Who knows! Well, here's the concept, it's that you basically know someone that knows that someone and therefore he is a one degree separation from you. The two degrees is someone that you know...knows another person and that person is therefore two degrees of separation from you and so on and so on. I could never really tell which degree was which so you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance but hopefully you get my point!

It all began one Eid holiday a few years back when I found myself feeling down and decided to travel to one of my favorite spots known to cheer me up; Lebanon. The denial of how crummy the world is never stopped them from having fun (refer to a past post to read more on that) and that was exactly what I needed; some fun to forget the woes of the world.

My friends and I decided to have dinner with a show at a place called Cart Blanch. The singer performing that day (many years ago) used to be famous but fate had turned on him and he was now singing to people while they had dinner. When I had watched him sing that night he had been struggling to get back on his feet and was hoping Lebanon would be his ticket back to fame (history would show that the decision to be in Lebanon would be the best decision he ever made in his life as he know suffers from great fame all over again). The singer in question is Kathem Al-Saher.

At the end of that night, as my friends and I were about to leave, the man who played the violin in his band came up to me and said "El Ostath Kathem yereed ey3arif low treedoon a7ad ewasilkom?" At that moment, it was surely impossible for any words to come out of my mouth. I was in shock! (Please refer to future posts of episodes of a Journal of a Single Gal to read more on this!).

For now and to make a long story short, having met Kathem Al-Saher personally who later met Nizzar Qabbani and sang his words of poetry, I can't help but watch the episodes and feel like I've met him. Whether it was one degree, two degrees or three..it doesn't really matter...I watch TV knowing that somewhere in another life we had written poetry together..don't ask me how...I just know it...and what a fascinating man he was...

10 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

I can't imagine Kathim Al Sahir ever being down on his luck. Dinya....mara ta7at...o mara fooooog. When Kathim sings Nizar's words, its like magic. Im dieing to watch the show bs i have no time. :(

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

delicately realistic...so glad you feel the same way...bass 7arram...you should try to watch it...they repeat it a few times during the night on Dubai TV...I usually see the 11:00 pm one...or have someone record it for you...

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Closet Diva said...

I saw Kathem last year in a hotel lobby in Dubai, & he is awfully short! What little lust I had for him (the source of which is his music) withered away instantly at that disturbing revelation regarding his height.

Anyway, am lovin your single gal posts, keep 'em comin :)

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Kathim short?! Who'd of thought?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Hopeless Poet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Hopeless Poet said...

Reminds me of the movie "Six degrees of separation" for Will Smith :D

So that means I am connected to Nizar through a chain of 3 people only ;)

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

commercialdelight & delicately realistic...true...he doesn't look short on TV but in real life..if you're average height and wearing heels...you're slightly looking down on him...it's a powerful feeling..;)

Samboose...hehehe...I think short girls are sooo cute...easy to hug...but for a guy it's a different story..:)...As for the future episodes...well..I think the Kathem story won't be in the next one just yet..but definately this season..;)

hopeless poet..hey..long time no pass by! Glad you did HP! La tig6a3..and you're right about the degrees...I'm pretty sure more degrees will keep showing up in the future..:)

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Peach said...

Aw hon, but you do know Nizar! You don’t need any degrees to meet & know him personally. All you have to do is sit in a nice, quite warmly lit place & open one of his books. And as you read his voice will start to whisper in little gusts of warm breath that strangely carries his scent! It will seep through your senses, command your heart & you will feel, hear & know him. Personally ;)

If he could read this right now I’m sure he would say to you something like this:

شكرا لحبك..
فهو من أوفى وأغلى الأصدقاء...
وهو الذي يبكي على صدري
إذا بكت السماء...
شكرا لحبك فهو مروحة ...
وطاووس .. و نعناع .. وماء...
وغمامة وردية مرت مصادفة بخط الإستواء..
وهو المفاجأة التي حار فيها العقلاء...

من قصيدة "شكرا" لنزار قباني.

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Flamingoliya said...

i remember Kathem Al Saher too
everytime i hear Nizar's poetry.

lucky you've met him 2 degree :)

i love abdul haleem hafith too :)

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Closet Diva said...

well I'm not that tall but short guys= huge turnoff, no matter how charming, I just can't help it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home