Reflections of A Princess

Monday, August 14, 2006

Legalized Perversion!

Last night I went out for dinner with a girlfriend of mine who wanted to introduce me to two of her acquaintances...as the two ladies walked in..I suddenly felt very under dressed..they had all that perfect make up..the perfect hairdo..all dressed up in perfection...I'd just finished yoga, had a quick shower and had slipped on my jeans and my hair was still dripping wet...Anyone watching us would've thought what a strange combination these ladies made...the two of us looking like a mess and the two others..straight out of a magazine....

There was something about these girls that made me presume that they were older than us...but it didn't take long to find out that it was absolutely not true..as usual..when it came to women talk the conversation had turned into the subject of marriage..

I asked the beautiful girl in front of me if she was married...she giggled..and said "Yes, actually, I got married when I was fourteen."

Yep..that's right...that is one four...14!!! I dropped my chopped sticks and looked at her with my eyes wide open...and then went into my Oprah Winfrey routine:

Me: Really?!! So how old was your husband?

Her: It was ten years ago, so he must've been 37 at the time...

A quick calculation meant that the girl sitting infront of me was 24 and her husband was now 47

Me: Forgive me for asking such a personal question...when I don't even know you but what was it like on the first night?

Her: (giggling) We didn't do it the first night...I was only fourteen and didn't know anything so he would sit with me and tell me things..

Me: What kind of things?

Her: Well..you know..

Me: No...I don't know..give me an example

Her: He would tell me that things happen between a husband and a wife and then he would put his hand on my lap...then the next day he would explain more and then kiss me slowly...then the next day he would touch me somewhere else...it took a whole week until I was comfortable enough and then we did it..

Me: How did you feel?

Her: At first I was scared 'coz I didn't understand what he was talking about..but then after one week...I was ready....

Me: Do you have children?

Her: Yes, I have two, a boy and a girl

Me: When your girl is 14, would you marry her off?

Her (in horror): NO WAY! She needs to enjoy life...

Suddenly, her friend interrupts and says "It's funny...you should see us when we are shopping...whenever we see a good looking guy...we go crazy...we missed out on a lot of things in life"...

That's when it dawned on me that her friend had married young too...and it seemed to be perfectly normal...was I living in a bubble unaware that people still did this...yes...my grandmother got married at the same age...but that was many..many years ago....yes...it used to happen centuries ago...but now??

It was sad to see a 24 year old girl act so much older...my friend and I were twice their age...yet we both treated them as older women...was it because they were married, it instantly made them "older"?...They just seemed too young by age years to feel, look and act older...how unfair was that...

My mind then wandered off to the 37 year old man that had married a 14 year old....I couldn't help but imagine him a pervert..or for a better word...a molester...

Last night I dreamt of the whole scene...the hairy 37 year old man with his big belly standing naked in front of the beautiful 14 year old girl..as she shivers from fear with her eyes wide open....the hairy big man pointing at his tool and saying "touch this"....she holds it and pretends it's a toy...

Am I sick to have dreamt that...maybe....but I couldn't help it...it made me feel soo angry...when innocence is robbed from a 14 year old girl...this is not marriage...it's just legalized perversion for free! Ugh!

18 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger CyberRowdy(Q8TechDrive) said...

but believe it or not...guys dont like make up freaks...natural beauty is the real, lasting one...and you doing yoga? thats great...

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Transparently said...

The current state of the world is what made you think that way about a 14 yr old getting married. I'm not saying it is wrong, in today's context it would seem so. Some people like to be old fashioned. I wonder what her parents thought... or what was their reasoning even.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Purgatory said...

chopsticks, did you go to Edo?

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

cyber...(blush)...thanks!

transparently...her Mom had gotten married the same age and her parents are the ones that arranged it for her...vicious circle if you ask me..

Purg..how did I know you would ask that!?..:)...No..it wasn't Edo..I was giving other japanese places a chance to compete..and of course..they failed terribly!

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Entrepreneur said...

welcome to the real world

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Purgatory said...

Good, you should fee ashamed, repent for your sins the usual ways.

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Erzulie said...

The first thing that came to mind was "Lolita."

Fourteen. IN THIS DAY AND AGE! Seriously OMG. He's old enough to be her father!

Girls are barely "women" in that age! Man...wow...I mean I remember when I was fourteen...I was still a kid...and I still am!

Wow...thank god I had a childhood...

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

entrep...no thanks..I'm happy living in my fantasy world..:)

purg...agool purg...chinak nesait togaf lamma etkalimnee...:)

erzulie..ee walla thank God we had a childhood...even though I loved that book but it really mad me sad then too!

sorrow...if we have to go by the saying then it should apply to women who are at least twenty three...and yes...they did look good...and if we looked at it from a deeper perspective..they looked so good 'coz they were trying so hard...maybe trying soo hard to relive their playful side...and I didn't need to ask about emotions...they admitted they never had a childhood and have a great time starring at good looking guys when they go shopping...I never asked for more details on that...but the way I see it...enough said..

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

fract...THANK YOU! I so appreciate the "damn molestor bastard" comment...give me more...lots of things happened many years ago...people might've eaten bugs for all we know..(that ryhmes!)...anyway...it just doesn't justify us doing this in this day and age..!..:)..so yes..damn molestor bastard is right!

 
At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that age matters when it comes to minors!
I can't believe that this kind of arranged marriage still exists in Kuwait!
This should be prohibited by the law even if the parents are OK!
Poor little girls obliged to live with a horrible monster, the worst thing is; molesters lose interest in their victims when they grow up, and they end up doing it with their own children.
Jesus, this kind of stuff exists every where in the world and Kuwait is not an exception!
It's time for the government to do something about it!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

*covers face in shame*

IN THIS DAY AND AGE?!?!?!!!!!

Bad thoughts....its all ur fault if i have a nightmare tonight....and bro7y mo nagsa hl yomain :( i want a dreamless night!!! PLZ!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Temetwir said...

a) is she the only wife?

b) if theyre bedouins, are they from the same tribe?

c) yes that dream was sick

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger CyberRowdy(Q8TechDrive) said...

hahaha blushes? thats funny..LOL

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

blue ice envy...very good point..maybe once women MP's start to exist then they can create such a law...good idea!

DR..so sorry habeebti...adree...I had bad dreams too...sam7eenee...mwaaaa

Temet...

(1) her dad had married four but she seemed to be the only one so far!
(2) she mentioned that her husband was a distant relative
(3) yes...I know...I felt the same way!

laialy...actually the conversation came up about "Najada" and they said they were Naydyeen...

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

Now I'm going to have nightmares too! No matter where you live and your experiences, despite physical maturity 14 is still a child. In Africa for example, were child brides are still common in many parts, when the young girls are away from their husbands and responsibilities, they still play like children. I hope these two Naydyeen remember how frightened they were and give their children a chance to enjoy childhood and grow up physically and mentally.

I think in Kuwait the legal age for marriage is 16, but a law won't stop this practice. Only education and enforcement will.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger sexygoba said...

U're not weird for having that dream. I would have had exactly the same reaction u had...I really can't get over this. 37 year old man...I rreally cant..14 year old..OH JESUS! I dont know gurl but these are some serious issues. EVEN MY GRANDMA GOT MARRIED AT 15 NOT FOUR EFFIN TEEN lol!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Jewaira said...

I know you were distressed by your dream but I found it amusing.

I know of some girls that were married off around 15 - but one of them was an orphan and her guardians wanted to marry her off - it was to a guy 3 years older than her.

Another girl also married at 16 but sadly her husband (also a young man) turned out to be a horrible person and they divorced.

I taught two teenage girls 15-16 who were married and pregnant during the school year too! (everyone turned a blind eye)

Sometimes if a female is not good at school, people make remarks that she should be married off as soon as possible.

The thing is, most women I have spoken to who have married young (not as young as 14 but around 17-18) feel differently in their late 20's and 30's. They feel they have missed out.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger dishevelled said...

Her father and husband are both sick, her husband for doing that to her, her father for allowing it

Her mom should have objected, and his mom should have raised him up to know how to treat women, not run after innocent children, touching them in a different place every day only to get what he wants out of her. I mean all four parties, did they SERIOUSLY believe, that a girl in middle school is "wife" material!? She's still looked after and taken care off, so she can't take care of her self, let alone a spouse, she knew nothing about sex, so that can't be it too. I'm guessing she didn't know how to cook, be alone, take responsibilty or any of that. And it was not like she was old that they were waiting to marry her off to anyone who approached (another stupid thing, but that's another issue)

Seriously, what did her parents, his paretns and himself, see in this child that made them believe she was ready for marraige?! Takhalof!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home