Reflections of A Princess

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Do You Change Tires Or Not?

As I was leaving work the other day, driving down the highway, very excited that I was actually going to take the initiative and go to the gym...I realized that I was about to have a flat tire! I always hated that feeling...suddenly the sukan feels heavy and that sinking feeling that you're about to be stranded on the streets takes over you...and of course the fact that you're not gonna make it to your aerobic class on time gets you all frustrated...

I was reassured by the feeling that once I park my car on the side of the road and put my blinkers on...it'll take exactly two minutes for a car to stop and the guy stepping out and asking "3asa ma shar?"....it happened that way throughout my life...that's why I never learnt how to change my tire...I mean besides my Ice Queen sister and an American female friend who strives to be independent...I don't know of any other girl who knows how to do that!!

So there I was, stranded on the high way...blinkers on...playing the damsel in distress...and guess what?....NOBODY STOPPED!!! I called the driver at home and explained for five minutes exactly where my location was...sadly..he's an idiot so it didn't look likely that he would find me soon...It took me two hours to end my dilemma....but the mere fact that times had changed got me all depressed...

Whatever happened to those guys who'd never see a girl stranded on the road without stopping to rescue her??? I couldn't figure out whether it was because some girls actually pretended to have a flat tire in an effort to meet guys and the guys have picked up on this....or whether the guys feel that now that women can vote...why should we rescue them...they should be able to take care of themselves....both cases pissed me off and I went home feeling hurt....leaving me singing an old 80's song "Where did all the good men go?"....."I need a hero!"...what pissed me off even more was that I now had to learn how to change a tire...and imaging my hands getting all dirty and breaking a nail just doesn't sound much fun to me!

Ok...Do I sound like a spoilt brat?? Maybe...but at least I'm honest! I mean how feminine is it to watch a girl change tires??

15 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Extinct Dodo said...

whenever i get a flat tire and a guy stops to help out, i tell him to bugger off coz someone else is on the way.

maybe they get told off too often so they stopped trying to be altruistic :P

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger error said...

i guess many guys know the answer why, hehe

on another note it might not me feminine but it sure is sexy :P

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger don_veto said...

Don't worry it was probably the hot weather. If it happened in winter, you would get lots of guys.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Temetwir said...

wait so u did it in the end?

sometimes it's just too late, i.e. no one takes notice until they're very close or even past the car, thats what happens w/ me at least

not sure i ever saw someone 'in the process of stopping' .. but what does surprise me is that almost always the car that has the puncture is in front..
which would mean that the car in the back actually "knows" where it was headed and was "expecting" to make a stop

anyway enough physics, im glad ur okay now and look at the bright side.. its a story to tell now

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

extinct-dodo...oh yeah..that's true too...but even when I didn't need any help...I still loved it when it happened...kinda like abraj el kuwait...they're always there...you don't particularly visit it or feel that you need it...but it's there...it's Kuwait!..know what I mean?

error...so what is the answer then?....and on your other note...are you serious?? Watching all that make up melt in the sun...I doubt you'd think so if it happened in reality!..:)

don_veto...hhmm...I hope you're right...'coz I'd hate that if it ever changed...it's a traditional thing that I adore and I'd hate for it to change...let's hope I don't have a flat tire in winter to find out!

temetwir...LOL..thanks for making me laugh...yes..it was a story to tell...and el-hamdulla I made it home safely...I never did end up doing it...the driver finally found me! and yes...he parked behind my car!..:)

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger iDip said...

ra7at el-shahama!
lol

kha6ach el-suw :)

a flat tire is everyone's nightmare, esp. during the "tender" Kuwaiti summer.

I -for one- didn't know to fix the tire when it happened to me for the 1st time, because I didn't know that my car's "jaik" (the little mighty tool that lifs the car) is different, not the one I see in other cars. But since then I became a "bancharchi"... bad experiences teach us a lot!

Anyway, I heard that there are some companies that offer "banchar" help if you subscribe with them (KFH is one of them if I'm not mistaken), try to contact them... or learn how to do it youself ;p

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

7ayaaaaaaati :* how annoying?! Why didnt anyone stop?! Sij ma3indohom salfa! Im trying to remember past experiences, but im blank.

Hmmmmm.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Harry Kane said...

In this heat? Are u kidding? I wouldn't change my own tires, much less somebody elses. I'd rather abandon the car and hitch a ride than suffer a heat stroke. Okay, a damsel in distress and all, but u gotta draw the line somewhere.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

laialy...hey! long time no see! Sij..Allah e5alee el family...and you're right AAA would've been a perfect solution..

hind..allah yesalmich...maybe we should enrol in a "how to change a tire - For Women?" class...bet ya it'll be a full class!

idip...hhmm...I was wondering if we'd have a triple A in Kuwait..so there is huh? Definately something I oughta look into..be 9ara7a ma tiswa 3alaih sitting there waiting for a hero...o 3ala goltek..makoo shahama!...:)...(even though I bet would've stopped..;)

DR...habeeebti....I swear you were on my mind when it happened..I kept thinking of us girls who always end up being "damsels in distress" china maktooblina!

harry...really!??! The heat would be too much? According to my records...Heros would fight dinasours to save the damsel in distress....guess they don't men like they used to...:)...too bad!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Sporty said...

I understand that you are hurt. I personally won't expect that for a girl... Times are really changing. I hope it was just bad luck.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger A3sab said...

allah i3afi issawwag

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

When I was learning to drive, my father insisted that I know how to change a tire, how to check the oil, and where to add water in case the car overheated. There were all good lessons and the only time I personally had to change a tire, I was with my sister who didn't know what to do!!! (I don't know how she missed the tire-changing lesson.) I think it's a useful skill that gives you freedom. I can also change my own oil and put in a new filter, although I don't.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Chai-7aleeb said...

YOU MUST CHANGE TIRES.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger The Krispy Dixie said...

hehehehehehe....

meskeena! Wallah I wouldn't bother learning how to do it myself cos my bro or dad always come to my rescue and I just sit in my car trying to look like I did it on purpose till they get there! :P

but I know what you mean... it is sad...

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, You shouldn't be sad or hurt about what happened.
I think that you faced probably for the first time of your life how dependant you are, there is nothing wrong about doing such things yourself, and believe me you feel quiet proud when you finish.
As for your hands getting dirty and the chance of braking you nails; you could wear protecting gloves.
I think it's very sexy when a woman does do it by herself.
I learned to do that before having my driving licence, it sure surprised my family and friends, but I didn't care much about that.
I do miss the way guys are helpful sometimes, but you know what? I don't miss the way they think we are, the way they treat us.
There is no evolution without pain dear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home