Reflections of A Princess

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Journal of a Single Gal in Q8 - Episode Eight

From last episode..

"She found the whole episode embarrassing and told her friend that it was time to leave so she said her goodbyes as she and her friend went inside the nearby mall. She didn't need to turn around to figure out that he was following them as they entered Liz Claiborne. She had just grabbed one of the shirts on display when she sensed his presence right next to her."

"Excuse me, I believe you dropped something," she heard him say as she turned to face him. Her heart began to race. She hated embarressing moments when she just didn't know how to act. He quickly handed her a pen with a piece of paper attached to it then turned and walked away. Her friend had been eyeing the situation from the other side of the shop and paced hurridly towards her to ask her what he'd said. She slipped the pen in her bag and told her that she'd forgotten her pen and he'd past it to her. She didn't like to lie to her friend but she'd just been complaining about Mr. Big and she didn't want to look like a hypocrite.

It had been two weeks since she'd last spoken to Mr. Big. The year was coming to an end so she'd told him that it was time they dealt with reality and that they should break up.

"What do you mean you want to break up?" his voice aggrivated "People "break up" when they're teenagers which we're not. Besides it takes two people to break up and I'm not agreeing to this." She knew it wasn't going to be easy. Maybe she should've just made up her mind and stopped answering his calls but she knew that everytime she'd see his number, she'd pick it up.

If her Mom hadn't yelled and screamed when she'd first approached her about the idea of getting married to him, things might've been different but ever since then, her Mom had changed with her and she just didn't feel happy about it. The stress had been too much for her and she just wanted to stop feeling guilty and the only thing she could do was try to leave him.

She needed something to preoccupy herself from calling him and maybe this guy could do that. These were her thoughts when she finally was alone in her room and was staring at the number.

"Hello. Thank you for returning the pen that was originally not mine" she told him. Let's hope he has a sense of humour she thought to herself.

"Hello! No problem" he laughed. (So far so good, she thought)"You're very pretty by the way," he continued.

"Thank you," she could feel herself blush.

"I also like you're style," he said and she thanked him again.

"Do you know any other words besides thank you?" he asked.

He was being sarcastic and she wasn't sure whether to be sarcastic back or just ignore it.

"Sorry but I don't know what else to say when someone compliments me. So tell me more about you. I noticed that you gave me two numbers; a mobile and a house number" she answered.

"Yes, I live alone. I used to be married but I'm divorced now and live by myself. My ex-wife and kids don't live in Kuwait."

"I see" she said.

"I'd rather talk about you and I'd like to give you a few words of advise. I do like you're style but it needs a bit of work. For instance, I noticed that when you were sitting down that you had your handbag on the floor. That's very bad" he said.

"Excuse me?" she asked. (WTF, she thought to herself)

"Yes, it's not becoming at all. How can you put your bag on the floor. First, it's a very uncivilized thing to do, second it's bad luck." he retorted.

"Uncivilized?" her blood was begining to boil but her curiosity was getting the better of her and she wanted to hear more of what he had to say.

"Yes. I mean you spoilt the entire image of yourself when you put your bag on the floor and even though I liked what you were wearing it was more wintery and it's not even winter yet. I know you'll appreciate my advise. I think it's important to take care of your image and of course I'm letting you know what I like in women. The most important thing for me when I'm sitting with a woman is the way she carries herself. Image is everything," he said quite frankly.

That was all he needed to say.

"Forgive me for interrupting your session of consultation but first, I believe you've mistaken me for a bimbo, which I'm not. You know, the ones that put their teeny weeny prada bags on their laps and need someone like you to run their lives. Second, I'd much rather be sitting crosslegged and I mean like my ancestors used to sit, yoga style than to sit like the "little lady" your describing. Third, I'm not your ex-wife for you to advise me on anything and I am definately not surprised you have an ex since you have issues and definately need therapy yourself. If you'll excuse me, I believe I have much more intelligent things to do than to scrutinize my personality based on where I put my bag. Thank you and good bye".

She hung up and threw her mobile on the bed. "Of all the rotten, peice of crap," the swear words weren't coming out as fast as she'd wanted them to. "Who the hell did he think he is." She'd been so angry that she finally realised that she'd forgotten to breath. She took three deep breaths and suddenly began to smile. The whole thing was too funny. Talk about a guy with controlling issues! Poor ex-wife, no wonder she left him!

"They're sick. they're sick. They're sick" the mantra was making her feel better but she still couldn't believe it.

Two weeks later, she'd bumped into him at an exhibition and she hoped he wouldn't approach her but he did.

"You look very pretty" he said. Sick, sick, sick. Her mantra was coming back to her.

She nodded to him as she walked away. She wanted to be at least one million miles away from him. Sick, that he'd say that she looked pretty but that was so typical. It didn't matter that she'd given him a piece of her mind and told him to go lay an egg. All that mattered was that she looked pretty and the look on his face of "let's try again." made her even angrier. Idiot!

When she'd finally closed the phone, she'd weakend and called her Mr. Big. He was so excited to hear her voice and told her that he was hoping that she'd call.

"By the way, you remember when I told you that we have to break up because I need to meet other people?" she asked him.

"Yes" he replied reluctantly.

"Well, I want to tell you about something that happened to me that you're not going to believe" she was still angry about the incident and wanted to get it off her chest even though she knew that he was not going to like it.

"I have a feeling that I'm not going to want to hear this so please don't tell me" he said.

"Don't you want me to be honest?" she asked.

"That's the problem. You are too honest and it drives me crazy. I really think I'd rather not know." he said.

"Ok. Forget it," she replied.

"God, I hate this. Fine, tell me. What have you done?" she could tell he was already upset before even hearing the story.

"No. Forget it. I don't want you to get mad at me but the story is kinda stupid and funny at the same time so that's why I thought you'd find it funny," she replied.

She told him the story without mentioning how she'd actually met him. He was furious.

Although her sister always advised her that she should never be too honest when it came to the opposite sex, since it would backfire, she still wouldn't listen because telling him always made her feel better, regardless of the outcome.

"I hope you're happy with yourself that you let a nobody who knows nothing about you or about who you are to tell you all that," he yelled. "You know, I don't blame him. He probably thought you're one of those girls who likes to be treated that way. How would he know that he's dealing with an independent and intelligent girl that doesn't like to be pushed around. Sometimes I think you enjoy it! You enjoy taking people by surprise by letting them think that you're one thing and then showing them something entirely unexpected. I know you told him that he needs therapy but in reality you need it too," he continued.

He went on and on and then suddenly went quite and told her that he had to go. He needed to be alone. She tried to argue with him but it was no use and so she reluctantly told him that she was sorry and then hung up.

She began to wonder if her image did imply that she was a bimbo. Maybe that's why the type of men she kept encountering were so weird. She felt confused. Was it her image that needed fixing or was the society so superficual that they presumed a pretty girl must be stupid or the type that likes to be pushed around? She couldn't get it.

Thank God, this Ramadan she knew nothing of the sort would happen again. She'd promised to stay away from all the crowded places and to stick to just seeing close friends. The only similarity was that she'd told her Mr. Big that she was breaking up with him all over again and this time she hoped it would be for real.

Maybe she should've known that they may not end up together based on the way they'd met. Sometimes it was hard to believe that they actually met that way.

It all began a few summers ago when she had been visiting her sister in the States.

To be continued...

26 Comments:

At 9:40 AM, Blogger Temetwir said...

i didnt realize there were 2 "him"s ast first, got confusing at first so i went back and it made sense

how about q8i dialogue for ep.9?

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Closet Diva said...

OMG!
1- WTF the guy is commenting on how she carries herself in the first conversation? Some guys have no skills.

2-3adil, zain sewat feeh bil response LOL. Its true a lot of girls are pushed around by men in kuwait, men that not only tell them what to do but also how to wear their hair. It becomes a shocking tragedy to independent girls with a brain!

3-Did I miss something? Why doesn't her mother like Mr. Big? He seems like the guy for her...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

Heheh I was going to ask the same question CD asked, whats up with the mum? It's the first time I read your series. I loved it. That guy is definetly gay but he doesn't know it. Ya3ny shino bag on the floor? But I do have to admit he has a point, I hate it when I have to put my bag on the floor, and it does ruin the imagine. Bs ohwa shako?! La o in the first conversation. I'm going to go back and read the previous episodes later, seems interesting.

Keep it up sweetie.
P.S. Check your last post plz. :)

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger A3sab said...

7'osh getting more interesting everytime, 9idj why doesthe mom have a problem with mr. big?

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

temetwir...hhmm..unlike ba3th el nass that can right a whole post in q8i dialogue..;)..it takes me much longer to type it..but I will consider it...3ashan 7'a6rek.(see that word took me a while to type..:)

CD...glad you liked the independent girl...coming form you..I aint surprised..:)..As for the Mr. Big...coming soon in the next episode..

DR..let me know what you think of the other episodes...and I checked the my last post and yes of course you can..:)

a3sab...thank you...I should have the answer soon in the next episode..

DR...

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

lol i don't have your email?

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

DR...it's available on my webpage in profile..just click on "contact me"..:)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

9irt 7ola misscosmo mako?! shrayich you email me?

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Flamingoliya said...

misscosmo
ana thayig khilgi...

nizzar,,, womanizer :(

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

dr...did you get my e-mail?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

flamingoliya habeebti...adree...sakat feeni el denya...but then again..that's a pisces man for you...:(

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

misscosmo what do they say about a gemini man? :/

salamtich falmingoliya

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

lol oh you mean nizzar

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Gemeni guys are usually very nice and sociable people..and very active...they fall in love easily and can be very romantic...the only problem is they think rather than feel....unlike the pisces man who is very much intuned with his feelings..i.e. Nizar...kotlat masha3er....

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Delicately Realistic said...

aby kotlat masha3ir :) and your description of the gemini is bang on spot! I guess its the same for a gemini woman (me)

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Temetwir said...

misscosmo heh appreciate the thought but nevermind, but tell me this: in ur head when u write, its in q8i and then u translate dont u?

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

temetwir...chan zein!...Allah yi'7allee el madaris el engleeziya...ma kano ye'7aloona enfaker bel 3arabi...so sadly I think in English!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Flamingoliya said...

aaaaaaaaaah lel7een thayig khilgi o minsadma

3ala 6ary el english thoughts...

what about dreams?! i dream in english sometimes!!! what about you?

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Flamingoliya said...

DR allah esalmich dear

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Spontaneousnessity said...

I HATE!! HATE!!! HHATE!!!! when men tell girls how they're supposed to dress/act/wear make up! SHTABY! this is me and that's all there is to it take it or just freakin walk away!! I hate it even more when girls actually listen! urrrgh!!!

good thing she didn't! bravo!

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger Temetwir said...

misscosmo radaaaaaaaina 3al english schools? naawya 3alay entay nawya 3alay?

heh anyway, lets see what happens next

suggestion: when u finish this "story", tegdereen tat7ifeena b another series abt something other than relationships, the writing is gripping i salute u :)

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Natalie said...

I agree that he had no right to comment on your image when he just met you, but there is an old wives' tale related to putting your bag on the floor. According to folklore, it's disrespectful to put your money (in your purse/bag) on the floor because it will get away from you. Supposedly, if you want to keep your cash, put your bag on a chair or table or lap etc. Of course you have to balance this with keeping your cash in sight so that someone with sticky fingers does not walk off with it.

You are not a bimbo. There is such a stereotype about attractive women not being bright as well. His comments are a reflection on his caveman thinking and not you. Like you, people tend to think I'm dumb or not capable because of the way I look or dress, or because I supposedly look young. I rather enjoy letting them embarass themselves.

As for Mr. Big, I'm not convinced you know what you really, really want. (Don't worry -- I'm not going to start quoting Spice Girls.) Once you make that decision, everything will be clear.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

gnatgnat..thanks for the input...I remember that old wives tale...I'm make sure the character in the plot remembers too..:)

temetwir...tislam..shahada a3taz feeha...chan aktib 3an el seyasah...but you're doing a great job at it yourself..:)

Spont..so glad to hear you feel so passionately about it...sij eybu6 el chabd!

flamingoliya...definately my dreams are in English...but sometimes mutarjam..hehehe...and about 7ajji Nizar...tarra I'm thinking of quitting the show...it's causing me a depression...actually kell el musalsalat are causing me a depression...6aff min galb...enough!...wa ella bitsem3een 3anee...standing on top of the Kuwait Towers about to jump! All that evil in the mosalsalat is making me hate the world!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Peach said...

OK taking the guys number was dumb to start with! I woulda taken the pen and thrown the numeber in front of his feet looking him straight in the eye all the time! Calling him was even DUMBER!!! But I likey what she said to da man hehehe .. "you had your handbag on the floor. That's very bad" ", "it's a very uncivilized thing to do, second it's bad luck", "I'm letting you know what I like in women". OMG!!!! Paleeeze!! I wonder what a guy like that would say if he saw me on a bad day in my overalls sitting with one leg propped up!! looooool Makes me wana go out like that right now and look at guys faces!! hahahaaaa

As for Mr.Kiss-My-Ass-Big!! Whatha!! If I were her I'd tell him somethng like: I already told u I'm breaking up with u, we already know it's not gonna work out. So what the fuck! And I'm glad it's not cuz what do u think ur doing telling me what I should or shouldn't do!!! I have a right to decide for myself what I want or don't want to do and if I screw up well then it's my lesson and I had a right to learn it!!! Come live my life 3anni ba3ad!!! And if I'm too honest for ur self deluding brain then I'm sorry, I won't bother telling u jack next time! ay shaaaay!!

See hon that'a why I just loove being single :D

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger MissCosmoKuwait said...

Peach...hehehe...that was quite a mouthful you said dear..:)...the fact that you ended with "I love being single" makes it all the more cute..:)...does that mean being single we shouldn't give men the time of day? or do you believe mr. nice guy is out there but you'd rather be single?

Samboose..cool...I love it that you get excited about the episodes...makes me want to think of more plots..:)..thanks babe!

shopaholicq8eya...oh me God...really??...you simply have to share...gay..living alone...street address?? same guy??

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Peach said...

Not at all! Everyone needs a lil male energy now & then ;) I don't mind having male friends as long as we each respect our boundries & our different ideas & personalities. If my friend didn't then he's not open minded enough for me which in other words is saying that we are the wrong type of ppl to hang out together! Yes I shouldn't give him the time of day. What bothered me about her Mr.Big is that he's too jealous which is not a quality u need at all in a friend! And even if he was a "special" friend, as long as he knows we are not bound for each other, he should respect my own attempts at finding my ever lasting mate. If he can't handle it then ours is maybe a relationship that should stop!

As for Mr.Nice, Big, The One or whatever u'd like to call him ;) Yeah I do believe he's out there somewhere, but untill our paths cross! I would rather stay single & enjoy it while it last. Because once it's over, I will have a whole different quality of things to enjoy & I will never be the same single soul that I am ;)

All is good in it's own sweet time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home